Friday, April 15, 2011

Refresh.

Life's been going at 100 miles per hours lately, it seems. So today, after a nearly 10-hour day at work with annoying children, I decided to take the long walk back to my car...up, over, and around the hill. I've hiked this trail countless times, but always with a train of 5th graders in tow; today I was excited to experience it in the quiet and solitude I'd always imagined.

So I hiked. And I listened. And I prayed. And I even kicked off my Tom's and walked barefoot on the hard-packed clay and rocks, placing my feet right next to the coyote tracks cemented after the last rain. Dodging anthills in a goofy little sidestepping dance. Hoping I didn't run into a rattler or a mountain lion after weeks of no field trips at this site. And although my feet might have gotten a couple of small pricklies in them, it was totally worth it. My only regret is that I didn't take the longer trail...

No comments:

Post a Comment